In a meet with RI and Alleman, GMS Cross Country took top spots for both the boys and girls runs. It was a wet and muddy run today, but that didn’t stop GMS Runners.
Greetings Geneseo Middle School Families, and welcome back for an exciting start to the 2016-17 school year. There have been a number of painting, cleaning, and facility improvement projects at GMS over the summer that we are excited to share with all of our students and parents. We are also energized by the unique experiences, expertise, and passion for learning that our new to GMS professionals bring to our community.
As the staff of GMS makes final preparations for our 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students to enter these hallowed halls, we want to update you with some back to school information and documents. Please review these carefully, for they will likely answer many of the questions that come up as you complete the process of going back to school.
- School Supply lists are posted at all major store outlets in the area, or you can find them here: http://www.dist228.org/indexwidenew.php?page=familyresources.html
- August 9th New Student Registration at GMS from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- August 12th Student schedules will be available for viewing on Skyward Family Access
- August 17th 5-7 pm is GMS Open House/Backpack Night
- Stop by at any time between 5-7 pm to get schedules, check and set up lockers, and meet your teachers
- Students & Parents/Guardians should first report to their child’s 1st period classroom for sign-in, copies of schedules, and an orientation welcome (1st period rooms are listed on each student’s schedule, lists will also be posted in each hallway)
- For sale at Open House will be:
- Activity Passes $10 each (2 types)
- Book Covers
- GHS Football T-Shirts
- GMS Yearbook orders/information
- August 18th school begins, an opening day schedule is attached
- August 18th, students will report to their 1st period class at 8:10 am to get planners, schedules, and listen to opening expectations
- August 18th and 19th are both one-hour early releases for students
- The GMS regular school day is 8:10 am – 3:10 pm, 1-hour early out is 8:10 am – 2:10 pm, ½ day dismissal is 8:10 am – 11:40 am
- Academic Student Assistance Period (ASAP):
- Students will report to ASAP daily, during 8th period, where they will engage in research-based learning programs, including: Silent Sustained Reading (SSR), Language Arts or Math Learning Centers, Writing Workshop, Special Education services, or Strategies for Academic Success (SAS)
- SSR Expectations:
- Students should be seated and reading quietly for all 30 minutes
- A book for enjoyment is preferable, but magazines, newspapers, and articles are acceptable
- Readers may use a Kindle, iPad or other electronic reading device ONLY to read a book during SSR (*students are not to read using phones), consequences of abuse will follow the GMS Electronic Device violation procedures in the Student/Parent Handbook
- If you are participating in a fall sport or activity make sure you have your physical form turned in to the main office before your sport or activity begins, and have the Medical Authorization form filled out and brought to your coach on day 1 of practice
- Please be aware of the updated District 228 Food Allergy Management Plan, which establishes District-wide guidelines to help our administrators, teachers, students and parents protect those with food allergies. If you have questions regarding “Food in the Classroom” see page 9, for the “Safe Snack List” see pages 11 and 12.