I hope that you and your family are enjoying your Spring Break. I wanted to give you an update on events at Northside-all of which will take place at the High School-and also I wanted to share with you several additional opportunities that are available to your child.
We had a wonderful Fine Arts Day! We had five acts between which students rotated in the morning. Anne Sammons discussed and demonstrated Weaving and Fiber Arts, Paul Terpening showed us all about Woodcarving, Haylee Gustafson introduced us to the world of Drama, Mike Stees showed us what it is to be a beekeeper, and Shannon Port allowed us to get a workout using “Pound.” To end the day’s festivities, our 4th and 5th grade instrument ensembles performed their version of “Liza Jane” for the school, followed by an ingenious and entertaining performance by Guys In Ties. Thank you to everyone who assisted in helping to make this day a very positive one for our students! Here is a link to the video playlist on Youtube: 2018 Northside Fine Arts Day Videos
4th and 5th grade students will be performing at All-Unit concert on Monday, May 7th. Please arrive by 6:45 for the 7:00 performance. We will soon begin rehearsing music for this concert. Practice tracks and music notation will soon be available on my district blog.
5th grade students will be performing at the Recorder/Band concert the following Monday, May 14th. This concert will also take place at 7:00, and we ask that you arrive by 6:45. During this same week, following the concert your child will have the opportunity to “test drive” several instruments. During week of April 16-20 many of these instruments will be demonstrated to 5th grade students.
All students will be beginning songs for our Spring Programs shortly after Spring Break. The concerts will take place on Wednesday, May 23rd. 4th and 5th grades will perform at 9:00 a.m., 2nd and 3rd grades at 10:15, and Kindergarten and 1st grades at 2:15.
Here are several extra opportunities available to your child:
- All students have the opportunity to perform as part of the Geneseo Chamber of Commerce Spring Open House & Art Walk on Saturday, April 21st from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Students do not need to be present for the entire event. Please have your child see me if he or she has a solo or small group musical piece that he or she would like to perform. I am also hoping to have all who are able to from our “Liza Jane” ensemble perform.
- Students entering 4th-7th grade are invited to participate in a Children’s Choir workshop directed by Geneseo music teachers and future music educators. Students will rehearse for two hours on July 5th, 6th, 9th, 10th, and 11th. Instruction will include vocal technique, theory, ear training, and preparation of concert music. The workshop will conclude with students performing with the adult community choir on Wednesday, July 11th. Registration forms are available here and outside the music room.
- Current 2nd-5th grade students-At First Lutheran this summer from August 13th-17th, and 19th students are invited to a week-long music camp. Lunch and an afternoon activity each day are also included in this experience.
As always, please let me know if you have questions at email@example.com or (309) 945-0625. Thank you for your support of the arts in Geneseo!
Remaining Northside Fine Arts Dates 2017-18
All-Unit Concert (4th and 5th grade)- Monday, May 7, 2018, 7:00 p.m., High School TBA
5th grade Recorder Concert in the High School Concert Hall
- Practice– Friday, May 11-1:30 p.m.
- Concert– Monday, May 14- 7:00 p.m.
Northside Spring Programs– Wednesday, May 23, 2018, High School Concert Hall
- Grades 4-5 9:00 a.m.
- Grades 2-3 10:15 a.m.
- Grades K-1 2:15 p.m