September 24, 2021
Dear Geneseo parents, guardians, staff and students,
With fall officially upon us and our 31st day of student attendance nearly in the books, everyone from our kindergarteners to our high school seniors are once again getting the in-person opportunities that we have longed for. We’ve got a lot happening throughout our district and with homecoming right around the corner, I wanted to touch upon a few topics:
- We are “going gold” tonight in honor of Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. If you’ll be at the home football games versus Sterling, please dress in gold or yellow to show your support for all the fighters and survivors, as well as those who are dancing in Heaven. The players, cheerleaders and marching band will also be showing their support!
- Next week is Homecoming week with our varsity football team hosting Alleman on Friday, Oct. 1 at Bob Reade Field. Students will be dismissed one hour early that day with the Homecoming parade starting at 3 pm.
- GHS students and staff (and even community members) can show their school spirit with the following dress up days next week:
- Monday: Jersey Day
- Tuesday: Adam Sandler Day (baggy shorts and oversized shirts)
- Wednesday: Country vs. Country Club
- Thursday: Hawaiian Day (Hawaiian shirts, beach attire, flip-flops, sunglasses)
- Friday: School Spirit Day (green/white attire and sport/club shirts)
- *Check your child’s school announcements for potential alternative themes
- Parent/Teacher conferences will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 12 and Thursday, Oct.14 from 4-8 pm with school being dismissed one hour early both days. GHS and GMS parents can schedule their conferences via Skyward, while elementary families should coordinate with their child’s teacher. Participation is highly encouraged, as this is a wonderful way to have meaningful dialogue about your child’s progress and successes in the classroom. Please note that masks are required if meeting in-person, otherwise remote options are also available. Building principals will share more information soon.
- We’re thrilled about the upcoming return of field trips for our younger students. All such trips will be to venues with health and safety protocols in place. Elementary principals will soon be in touch with additional information regarding October trips.
- Harvest Fest is this weekend with the Maple Leaf Marching Band classic at GHS starting at 4 pm on Saturday, Sept. 25, and choir performances and a talent show start at 12 noon on Sunday, Sept. 26 at the Geneseo City Park. Learn more by visiting GeneseoArts.com.
- As previously shared, canceled food deliveries continue to be a challenge for our cafeterias, particularly at GHS and GMS, but we’re still able to provide limited menus at this time. We continue to look for solutions to this issue and to our current shortage of workers. If you are interested in a position with the school district, please click here.
On a closing note, the number of Covid-19 cases in our district continue to hold steady, with the number of symptomatic individuals decreasing. Thank you to everyone whose cooperation has enabled full days in the classroom, from our staff to our students to their parents. I truly appreciate everyone’s efforts.
Have an amazing weekend and get ready to show some school spirit next week by joining us in Homecoming activities!
Dr. Adam Brumbaugh
Geneseo Community Unit School District #228